Part 11 Why and What is A Nasogastric Feed ?


What is a Nasogastric Feed (nose Feed)

Why do I need a Nasogastric Feed? How do they select Formula? & Frequency of Feeding Plan:

The specialized formula is a liquid that contains all the essential nutrients necessary for a healthy diet, including protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals. It's designed to support your health and well-being during this challenging time. This medical procedure is typically performed by a doctor or nurse in a hospital setting to help you receive the necessary nutrients and or to remove excess stomach contents in MY case survival plus beneficial medication that doesn't require to be administered intravenously.

It is important to understand that the tube-feeding formula is prepared commercially by pharmaceutical companies for life support purposes. 

My Dietitian identified the best type and quantity of formula to meet my nutritional needs while taking into account my inability to swallow my rapid weight loss due to cancer treatment and nourishment to maintain my life. Consideration of my other health issues (heart Bypass, Type 2 Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis). 

  1. .Maintaining Life
  2. The balancing of treating life-supporting nutrients
  3. Reactions of ailments caused by diet change.
  4. Halting my muscular deterioration as my body which had now consumed my body fat and was now breaking down muscle to feed my metabolism.
  5. Giving me holistic strength to mentally and physically combat the cancer.

It's essential NOT to make any changes to the type or amount of formula you're prescribed without first discussing it with your Dietitian. At the time there were only two different Brands of feeds available.

For ME one I could tolerate and one I couldn't that caused me to vomit it back up.

For me I didn't have a choice, they could have given me more medicine to help settle my stomach but I chose the one I could naturally handle.

The formula was ordered from the supplier by the box so the one that made me ill was donated to a not-for-profit organisation for the local community so it wouldn't go to waste.

I remember being shocked when I read on the packaging "For Acute Malnutrition" Once again I was reminded of my precarious position.

Our dietician showed us how to feed me through the tube, and then off we went to another battle to conquer.

How Is the Nasogastric Tube Inserted


 The medical procedure was performed by a nurse To make the process more comfortable, the nurse applied a numbing agent, lidocaine, or some other anesthetic spray down my nostril area. A lubricant gel was then applied to the tube to help it pass through my nasal passages more easily. (it was worth noting that most feed lines are now put in through the stomach region, not the nasal area but this was the best course of action in my case)

The Nasogastric tube was then carefully inserted through my nostrils, down my esophagus, and into my stomach while I was awake. The procedure caused a lot of discomfort because the nurse is telling you to continually swallow and the gagging motion of your muscles is trying to push it back up. It wasn't painful at all just uncomfortable. Once the tube was in place, it was taped to my nose to prevent it from becoming dislodged accidentally This is important to ensure that you do not have to experience further discomfort from reinsertion attempts(which happened once I will mention in another chapter). Then we went down for another x-ray to check the correct placement in my stomach.

The correct placement of the tube I found out later was essential to avoid complications from aspiration pneumonia or perforation of the esophagus or stomach. 

Overall, while the Nasogastric tube insertion procedure may seem daunting, it was a necessary step to help me receive the care that I needed. You can rest assured that the medical professional will take every possible step to ensure that the procedure is safe, comfortable, and effective(remember WE are a Team).

Please avoid putting anything other than water down the tube, as this can cause a blockage or damage to the tube. This happened to me once in nine months when it became clogged by something which instantly created a lot of anxiety. Off to the local hospital, we went to see a doctor to get it unclogged the worst case (which I feared) removed, and reinsertion back into my stomach. After the doctor connected a large syringe to the end she attempted to force the blockage through to my stomach. She was actually quivering trying to push the blockage out and so I thought the only thing left was removal and re-insertion. The Doctor Then Surprisingly said "We will try putting Coke Cola down the tube" as she had used it before on a blockage in a person's throat and see if it would work before the option of removal. The coke was inserted down the tube with the syringe: we waited 15 minutes and then presto! the tube cleared ! I don't know if it was the bubbles, seepage through the blockage, normal irrigation of a dry blockage, or if it disintegrated the blockage but it WORKED

HELPFUL ADVICE- IF YOU HAVE A BLOCKAGE IN YOUR NASOGASTRIC FEEDING LINE POUR COKE DOWN THE TUBE

From that day forth my wife would set up the drip feed and connect to my nasal line from a position above my head to allow it to drip feed into my stomach.

My wife had to carefully administer a slow, one-hour feed three times a day, all while managing to schedule a one-hour car trip to the hospital for my next radiation treatment, followed by another hour-long trip back home. During this time, I was weakened, stooped over, and my walking was slow. It was a challenging time, and my wife had to juggle all these responsibilities while also finding time to nourish herself and provide emotional support to lift my lagging spirit.

image people on camel passing a Pyramid

As mentioned in the previous episode now we really did appreciate the private car park at the entrance to the clinic. as some days my wife had to support me to walk into the clinic.

One Day at a Time ! Now at least my nourishment would be maintained as my ability to swallow was extremely limited.

Once again the"Team Effort (support team)" was evident I Wasn't battling cancer myself!

PREVIOUS EPISODE                             NEXT EPISODE              BACK TO HOME PAGE

        HELP AND SUPPORT LINKS                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I hope my blog helps in some way to cope with cancer.I am a survivor remember; One Day at a Time;
Regards
Phil on a Mission

Popular Posts