Part14 Last week of Cancer Treatment,What now ?

Photo of Myself my wife and my nurse after the last day of Cancer treatment
The Last week of Cancer Treatment what does it bring ?


My last week of cancer treatment began as usual with a trip to the hospital for my last treatment of Chemotherapy with Dr. Margie and the nursing staff, it brought on a mixture of strange emotions, and strangely enough, One wasn't Elation.

There was sadness in the knowledge that this was it, end of treatment, has it worked, has it cured my Pharyngeal Cancer, was it enough?

Wondering how to thank Dr Margie and the nursing staff who by now we knew by name for their kindness and help during this process. (They stood between me and the end of my life)

WHAT THEY WANTED was a warm knowing smile a humble thank you and a huge lasting hug. My Wife and I gratefully gave them plus a huge outpouring of pent-up tears.

Leaving Greenslopes Hospital it was time to cross to the P.A. Hospital for the start of my last 5 treatments of radiotherapy treatment.

This last week I was feeling completely drained both physically and mentally. Parking at the entrance (a huge relief) as even walking at this time was a huge effort and only in short segments.

Going through the process of getting ready to begin treatment. (By this stage I could tell by the sound of the motor powering the machine when it was one minute to go which I would then count down till it stopped.)

The same process 4 more times then it was THE DAY THE CANCER TREATMENT ENDED.

Finishing my Treatment I was given my Radiation Shield/Helmet and staff congratulated me and presented a sign with the words "I HAVE COMPLETED MY RADIATION TREATMENT!

Once again an outpouring of relief, grief, happiness, and sadness all in one.

Leaving the treatment room, I went straight to Professor Porceddu's office for the usual debrief examination.

MY WEIGHT 6 WEEKS AGO WAS 112KG              TODAYS WEIGHT 59KG

                                              I had gone from Mens XXL to Boys 16 shirt size                                                                                                      I HAD LOST 53 KILOGRAMS 

Almost 1/2 my total body weight.

WHAT WAS NEXT?

PREVIOUS EPISODE                   NEXT EPISODE                          BACK TO HOME PAGE

                                                HELP AND SUPPORT LINKS





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I hope my blog helps in some way to cope with cancer.I am a survivor remember; One Day at a Time;
Regards
Phil on a Mission

Popular Posts