Part 9. First Two Weeks of Cancer Treatment

 

image of People on camels walking past a Pyramid

Early Effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy for Cancer

Week one and two was an increasing feeling of stomach sickness (no vomiting), soreness in the throat area getting worse, pain in swallowing, and loss of appetite.

Dr. Porceddu was monitoring me each week with an appointment on Thursday which would be in the P.A.Hospital ENT centre attached to the radiation area.

DR. Porceddo would always have a smile and warm welcome to my wife and me and would ask how I was feeling.
First Job -Check my weight on the scales.

He would then go through a ritual of examining my oral cavity and sometimes use the Nasal Endoscope to check my throat. (At this stage, I was very raw and red in my mouth and I had lost my taste.)

He would then do a manual feel around my gland areas below my ear and jaw areas on both sides. Upon concluding the examination he would ask how I was feeling. This resulted in my detailed explanation of how I felt to the minute detail as I thought the more detail the better he would know what was happening(of course he knew but all people reacted differently some more severely than others).

It was then our time to ask questions which was always the same question.

1. HOW WAS I RESPONDING TO THE TREATMENT?

2. ON A SCALE OF 1 to 10 HOW WAS I  GOING?

3. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR AND EXPECT IN THE NEXT ROUND OF CHEMO AND RADIATION?

ANSWERS. Very diplomaticly Dr Porceddu explained everyone was different and responded differently even though there was a common effect from the strength of the dose and ongoing intensity.

(I hope I have explained that properly)

Dr. Proceddu would always say and smile at me and say I will keep a close watch on your progress and would NEVER tell me what to expect in the next 7 treatments. Deal with it one day at a time.

I must admit this did annoy and slightly anger me as I was hoping to

 1. Guage if it's working.
2. Prepare for the next week's symptoms.

In hindsight I now know why I was not told, it stopped the fear of what was ahead, and also did not want to deflate or enhance MY expectations.

I hope If there is one important thing that you take away from my blog it is to focus and treat "ONE DAY AT A TIME" Don't look forward and don't look back.

MY Analysis for this week.feeling Sicker, Losing weight fast trouble eating no taste.

PREVIOUS EPISODE                    NEXT EPISODE                                 BACK TO HOME PAGE.

                                        HELP AND SUPPORT LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I hope my blog helps in some way to cope with cancer.I am a survivor remember; One Day at a Time;
Regards
Phil on a Mission

Popular Posts