Part 8. Radiation Therapy for Throat Cancer begins

Image of Radiation Protective mask/shieldImage of Radiation Therapy Machine

Day 1. of  Radiation Treatment first of 42, administered each Monday through Friday for 7 weeks.

The day has arrived for my first chance to hit back at this dreaded Cancer. I just had my first Chemotherapy treatment as well in conjunction with radiation, I didn't really have time to think about it much as I felt the enigma of Cancer Treatment had waned slightly and I was more accepting of the treatment and now wanted to begin ASAP.

MY Chemotherapy treatment was very comforting thanks to the support of Dr Margie and the staff and I was feeling confident. We arrived at the private car park adjoining the entrance to the Cancer Radiation Therapy section. 
At the front desk, the receptionist welcomed us and gave us a book to record our treatments and appointment times(also the keycode for Tollgate which changed each week). They were very understanding of the Motorway traffic which took us An hour each way to attend. As there were 42 treatments and (bear in mind unknown other recipients needing the same)
they did their best to arrange similar appointment times on each day.
we then sat down and waited to go in. The number of people coming and going was confronting, later we quite often spoke to people as we were all on the same journey, helping and supporting each other.

My name was called I went in and was greeted by the same people who made my Radiation helmet/shield they once again advised me to stay still, I would then lay prone on the table and the helmet was put on and snapped into place(the noise still makes me nervous.) This would basically fix my head to the table ( I found that keeping my eyes closed was my best way of dealing with it)
to try to take your mind off it and create a distraction they would ask what music I liked and this would be on each time I went in automatically.

I was advised that AT ANY TIME I WANTED TO STOP PUT MY HAND UP.  

The machine would be instantly shut down and they would rush to my side.

They would leave the room and then you could hear the machine start up and rotate 180 degrees around my body. During this time I think for approximately 10 minutes I would train my thoughts on something, (by the time I was halfway through my total treatments I knew the sound it made 1 minute before it shut down).
Image of people on camels walking past PyramidAs soon as the Treatment finished they would quickly move in and release my helmet. (they knew that the sooner it was off the sooner my nerves would settle.) It was not that you felt anything during the radiation treatment it was MY claustrophobia that I had to calm down.

I admit I was pleased it was over 1 down 41 to go.

Now the Hour trip home and see what happens.


PREVIOUS EPISODE                 NEXT EPISODE                                BACK TO HOME PAGE

                                     HELP AND SUPPORT LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I hope my blog helps in some way to cope with cancer.I am a survivor remember; One Day at a Time;
Regards
Phil on a Mission

Popular Posts